Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Small Suggestion
06-20-2019, 06:01 PM
A Small Suggestion
Recollector is a great sofware that I am using now for 3 years already. As a coin collector, I am writing the script on the coins while I am looking at its image. The "test" button is great to have larger pic but when it is open I cannot continue editing. So I would appreciate if there is a preview of the image on the edit page that we can scale or if we can continue editing while the tested image is open.

Is this sound reasonable or doable?

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2019, 08:40 AM
RE: A Small Suggestion
Thanks for your suggestion. I understand why you would want a larger size image to look at while you are adding information about an item in the editor window. And you are right that you cannot interact with the editor window while the "test" image window is open. (I assume you are a Mac user, because on the PC version of Recollector the "Test" button no longer exists; you hover over the image name in the editor window and a small pop-up shows a thumbnail of the image, with no option to bring up a full-size image.)

The idea behind the "test" image is simply to verify that the image filename you have provided (by browsing, drag-and-drop, or by typing) is correct, and that the software can find and display the expected image.

Here's what I would suggest. When you want to do what you are describing (bring up a larger image to view while working in the editor), bring up the image window from the main collection window. Such an image window is not modal (in other words, it doesn't block you from interacting with the editor). If you are adding a new record, enter the information that doesn't require you to look at the image, as well as adding the image itself. Then save what you have added so far, and open an image window on the image in the just-added record. Then go back into the editor. Now you can complete your data-entry while having a full-size image to refer to.
06-21-2019, 02:18 PM
(06-21-2019 08:40 AM)jdp Wrote:  Here's what I would suggest. When you want to do what you are describing (bring up a larger image to view while working in the editor), bring up the image window from the main collection window. Such an image window is not modal (in other words, it doesn't block you from interacting with the editor). If you are adding a new record, enter the information that doesn't require you to look at the image, as well as adding the image itself. Then save what you have added so far, and open an image window on the image in the just-added record. Then go back into the editor. Now you can complete your data-entry while having a full-size image to refer to.

Yes that's what I am doing but it is far from being ideal.
06-23-2019, 12:05 AM
Sorry about the inconvenience.

Here's another approach that you might find easier: Keep a Finder window open to the folder that has your images. Just double-click in that window on the image that you want to see in large size. That should open the Mac's "Preview" app, letting you have a large image in view as you work on filling in the information in the Recollector editor window. That way you avoid having to break the editing of the Recollector record into two passes.