Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cannot create F-type hyperlink to PDF file
05-13-2019, 12:27 AM
Cannot create F-type hyperlink to PDF file
I'm using Recollector ver. 3.2.69 on a Windows 10 system and cannot create an F-type hyperlink. When I try to create one that points to a PDF file, I get an error message that Recollector cannot find the specified file (see attachment for a screengrab of the entire error message).

It doesn't matter if I opt to point the hyperlink to the original file or a copy in the image directory. NOTE that the problem is not mis-typing the filename since I use Windows Explorer to find the PDF file I want to link to.

This problem is consistent. It happens every time I try to create an F-type hyperlink in any field. And it always happened in the previous two Recollector maintenance releases.

Any suggestions how to correct this?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2019, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2019 01:09 AM by maprecord.)
RE: Cannot create F-type hyperlink to PDF file
The first thing I noticed when looking at the error message that you sent was that one of the sub-directories in the path name to the file you are trying to link to contains an ampersand character: Baskets & art

Because of the way that Recollector uses web-style components when rendering the Item Details page, the ampersand character has a special meaning in URL names (it is used to introduce parameters after a URL path). Please give a try at renaming this folder (for example, to "Baskets and art") and see whether you are then able to successfully link to a PDF file.

I also noticed that the path to the file you are trying to link to contains a series of three forward-slash characters in a row:

.../Art Collection Database///PERSONALCLOUD/peters4...

That also looks a bit suspicious! Can you open up the special-link editor and copy the entire string in the "Associated file" text box and paste that into a reply here on the forum. I'm curious as to what the full path name really looks like.
05-13-2019, 01:39 AM
An example of the full filename with full path:
//PERSONALCLOUD/peters4/Files/Art&Bamboo/Invoices/Hosai square basket.pdf

I couldn't find a "special-link editor."
05-13-2019, 02:39 AM
By "special-link editor" I just meant the dialog that comes up when you select text in the editor, right-click to bring up the context menu, and choose Create/Edit Special Hyperlink. If you select some or all of the text for an existing F-type hyperlink, then this will bring up the dialog with the F-type information, showing in the Associated file text-entry box the path name to the file that you asking to be the target of the link.

From the example that you just sent, the full path name begins with //PERSONALCLOUD/... In the error message that you sent earlier, the path name began with C:/Users/Peter/Dropbox/Art Collection Database///PERSONALCLOUD/... I'm concerned about the interpretation of those multiple slashes. When two slashes begin a path (as in //PERSONALCLOUD/...) this is meant to indicate that the first part of the name (immediately after the two slashes) is a computer name. I'm not sure what multiple slashes in the middle of a path name represent.
05-13-2019, 11:55 PM
(05-13-2019 02:39 AM)maprecord Wrote:  ......From the example that you just sent, the full path name begins with //PERSONALCLOUD/... In the error message that you sent earlier, the path name began with C:/Users/Peter/Dropbox/Art Collection Database///PERSONALCLOUD/... I'm concerned about the interpretation of those multiple slashes. When two slashes begin a path (as in //PERSONALCLOUD/...) this is meant to indicate that the first part of the name (immediately after the two slashes) is a computer name. I'm not sure what multiple slashes in the middle of a path name represent.

Just ignore the pathname with multiple slashes in the middle. They are obviously an error: probably because I didn't delete the pathname Recollector put in the dialog box by default. The correct pathname is the one that begins with //PERSONALCLOUD (which points to a network external drive).
05-14-2019, 12:59 AM
In that case, I suspect that the problem is what I initially reported: The use of an ampersand in the path. Please try a file with no ampersands in the path, and see if that works.

Just to convince yourself that F-type links can work, you might try linking to a file that is somewhere local on your C: drive (and, of course, has no ampersands in the hierarchy of folders that contain the file). If that works, then we can move forward to see what is behind the failure in the case you reported (assuming it is something other than the use of ampersands).
05-14-2019, 02:48 AM
I changed the name of the network drive's image file, removing the ampersand (its foldername is now "ArtBamboo"). Then I did the following with the following results:
1. Create an F-type hyperlink pointing to a PDF file (that has no symbols or punctuation in its filename) on the network drive. Result: it did not work. Got the same error message I've already sent you.
2. Copied a PDF file to the Desktop on my C:\ drive and selected "Use Original" option. Result: that worked. The PDF file loaded.
3. With the PDF file on the Desktop (see #2), and selected "Copy" option. Result: did not work. Same error message I've already sent you.
4. Copied the PDF file to the c:\program files (x86)\MapRecord Publications\Recollector\Collections\Images folder and selected "Use Original" option. Result: did not work. Same error message. Note: this sub-folder requires Administrator privileges.
5. Created a new sub-folder on the local drive (C:\), copied the target file to it and selected "Use Original" option. Result. that worked.

So, it appears that (1) Recollector will not work with a file on a network drive even though the filename is correct and the file exists; (2) Recollector's "Copy" option for F-type hyperlinks does not work; (3) manually copying the target file into Recollector's image folder and pointing to it with the "Use Original" option does not work. The only scheme that does work is to put the target file on the local drive in a folder that does not require Administrator privileges. While this may be acceptable to most users, it is not to any of us who use network file servers.
05-14-2019, 05:02 AM
I apologize for the trouble you are having with this. I will explore Recollector's use of network file paths (paths beginning with "//") to see whether this can be improved.

One note on your use of an Image Directory: In your most recent post, you seemed to suggest that your Image Directory is defined to be:

c:\program files (x86)\MapRecord Publications\Recollector\Collections\Images

As you note, this is a folder that requires admin privileges. Neither your collection file nor your collection's Image Directory folder should be located underneath a directory such as C:\Program Files (x86), since, as you note, this is an admin folder. I sometimes recommend to my customers that they create a folder named Recollector at the top level of their C: drive, and that they put their collection files and associated Image Directory folders there. This directory (C:\Recollector) is a normal user-accessible (read/write) folder, and you won't hit errors trying to access files there.

Nevertheless, from the very first error report you sent, the original problem does not appear to be an admin vs non-admin issue. The error was expressed by Windows as "could not find part of the path", so something other than permissions is likely to be at issue here.

Your #2 and #3 items (in your previous post) suggest that the problem has to do with the definition of the Image Directory. #2 worked, but when you asked Recollector to copy that same PDF file to the Image Directory, you got the error. Could you please provide a screen shot of the Summary window for your collection (choose Summary from the File menu). This will show the full path name for your collection and the path name (full or relative, depending on its location) of the Image Directory. This will help in trying to reproduce your problem.
05-14-2019, 05:45 AM
(05-14-2019 05:02 AM)maprecord Wrote:  Your #2 and #3 items (in your previous post) suggest that the problem has to do with the definition of the Image Directory. #2 worked, but when you asked Recollector to copy that same PDF file to the Image Directory, you got the error. Could you please provide a screen shot of the Summary window for your collection (choose Summary from the File menu). This will show the full path name for your collection and the path name (full or relative, depending on its location) of the Image Directory. This will help in trying to reproduce your problem.

SUMMARY (dollar amounts have been x'd out)

Collection: Peter Shinbach Art Collection (C:\Users\Peter\Dropbox\Art Collection Database\Art Collection - Recollector.xml)

Image Directory: \\PERSONALCLOUD\peters4\Files\My Photos\Baskets & art

Last updated: 12-May-2019 07:39:42

There are 100 records in the collection.

Total for 'Price' for 98 items in the entire collection is $xxx,xxx.xx.
(This includes 2 items with missing value for 'Price'.)

Total for 'AppraiseValue' for 98 items in the entire collection is $xxx,xxx.xx.
(This includes 2 items with missing value for 'AppraiseValue'.)

Total for 'Insured Value' for 62 items in the entire collection is $xxx,xxx.xx.
(This includes 38 items with missing value for 'Insured Value'.)
05-14-2019, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the information. The problem is certainly with the location of the Image Directory. It uses a network drive AND it includes a directory name with an ampersand character. It sounds like you did the experiment of changing the Image Directory specification to point to a path that included no ampersands. (If you haven't tried that experiment yet, please do try that.) In which case the problem would seem to be in the use of a network drive specification, a so-called UNC specification beginning with double slashes.

As I indicated previously, I'll try to do more testing with UNC paths and see if I can avoid the errors you are seeing.