Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Request/suggestion for new feature
12-30-2018, 09:29 AM
Request/suggestion for new feature
I've been using and enjoying Recollector for some time now, and it's made keeping track of various collections much easier. I would like to suggest/request a feature tho.

My major collection is Wedgwood ceramics - almost 1500 entries so far. On many of them, I've added several photos - front, back, marks, etc.

Would it ever be possible in the report creation process to ad a check box that would limit it to showing just the 1st photo attached? If I have 10 photos of various aspects of a piece, or parts of a set of something, it's seriously cumbersome and a waste of paper to have ALL the photos show.

Thank you,
Edward
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2018, 01:05 PM
RE: Request/suggestion for new feature
That seems like a reasonable request. It would be up to you to be sure that the image that you want to have shown in the report is, in fact, the first image listed in the image field.

In the short term, it is possible to emulate the behavior you want by creating a second image field in your collection database, and then populating that field with just the one image that you want to see in the report. Then, when generating the report, you would explicitly include that new image field, but exclude your "normal" image field. The more interesting question is how to populate this new one-image-only field without having to key in the image file-name information for all your records. If you are comfortable with Excel, it would certainly be possible to export your image data (actually export the ID# field and the image field), and then use a formula in Excel to grab the first image (up to, but not including, the semi-colon that separates multiple images) and populate a new column with the one file name for the first image. Then input the spreadsheet back into your collection, which lets you merge by the ID#, and populates your new field from the generated new column of the spreadsheet (which will have to have been given a row 1 column-name heading that matches the name of your new one-image-only field in your collection).

For what it's worth, here is an example of an Excel formula that produces just the first image file name (up to but not including the semi-colon) from a cell (C2) that may have multiple, semi-colon-separated file names, or just the one file name if that cell has just a single (or no) file name in it:

=IFERROR(TRIM(LEFT(C2,FIND(";",C2)-1)),IF(C2=0,"",C2))
12-30-2018, 08:11 PM
Thank you!

Excel and I have an uneasy truce - I use it minimally, it doesen't eat my data. When I feel brave, I'll see if I can follow your instructions.

I've been pretty good about making sure the image I want is first in the line-up, as it makes id'ing pieces so much easier.

Thank you again!

Edward
01-20-2019, 05:37 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2019 12:35 AM by maprecord.)
This feature request has now been implemented for the Windows version (V3.2.64) and the Mac version (1.7.35) of Recollector. The printed-report wizard now includes a checkbox which you can turn on to request that just one image (the first one) is displayed, for records that have image fields containing more than one image.
01-20-2019, 10:03 PM
THANK YOU!
This is FANTASTIC - just what I needed!
Edward