Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Feature Requests/suggestions
10-01-2018, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2018 10:11 AM by Phillip.)
Feature Requests/suggestions
Hello, I recently found Recollector and have been trying out the demo for a while and I'm amazed that it's EXACTLY what I was looking for! Big Grin I just haven't been able to purchase it yet as the conversion from US to AU is quite pricey for me Sad

I have two suggestions that I feel would make it much easier for entering data in the editing/adding window. Both have been mentioned on the forum already but I would like to add to them.

Firstly the addition of the field profile selection Here, once in the "Edit Record" window, instead of having to go into "Preferences/Editor Preferences" in order to change the field profile, put the field profile selection in the editor window, I have edited screenshots together to visually explain what I mean Smile

Secondly having a pick list that only shows the items that have already been added to previous records in that field, for example (only having 1 record to explain), the "Type" field pick list is empty so you enter "Accessory" into the field and save your record, then you create a new record and when your at the "Type" field the pick list now contains "Accessory" because "Accessory" now exists in your collection records and if you remove "Accessory" from the last record using "Accessory" in its "Type" field then "Accessory" will no longer show in the "Type" field's pick list. I hope that makes sense Big Grin
A similar example in post#4 Here in this thread.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2018, 01:29 PM
RE: Feature Requests/suggestions
Thanks for the suggestions.

Your first suggestion (moving the choice for selecting a profile, to use in the editor window, from the Editor>Preferences dialog and putting it instead right into the editor window itself) strikes me as possibly being more trouble, rather than useful, for most users. To be honest, I think less than 1% of Recollector users use the editor-profile feature. And, for those who do use it, I think they mostly change this setting infrequently. So putting this choice "in their faces", so to speak, right in the editor window, would, I think, be distracting for most users and take up valuable space in the editor window with something that they are just going to ignore.

I'm guessing that you are picturing a mode of use where you expect that you will want to be frequently changing this choice, perhaps because you have lots of fields, and you would like to always be able to see the fields you are working with in the editor without having to scroll. So you would break the set of fields up into several groups, each with an associated profile, and then you would start with one profile chosen, enter data for its fields, then switch to a second profile, continue on with its fields, etc. I admit that this would be a style of use that would benefit from your suggestion. But I think it is a very atypical style of doing data-entry with Recollector.

As to your second suggestion, that has recently been implemented. There is a new feature, referred to in the User's Guide as "Auto-populating picklists" that does exactly what you describe. You set this up by creating a new picklist that has a single entry, whose value is "[AUTO]". If you associate this picklist with a (short text or one-line text) field, then in the data-entry window, there will be a dropdown list for the field, and its choices will consist of whatever actual values exist for this field in other records. I suggest taking a look at the User's Guide section on Picklists, and search for "Auto".
10-01-2018, 04:01 PM
(10-01-2018 01:29 PM)maprecord Wrote:  Thanks for the suggestions.

Your first suggestion (moving the choice for selecting a profile, to use in the editor window, from the Editor>Preferences dialog and putting it instead right into the editor window itself) strikes me as possibly being more trouble, rather than useful, for most users. To be honest, I think less than 1% of Recollector users use the editor-profile feature. And, for those who do use it, I think they mostly change this setting infrequently. So putting this choice "in their faces", so to speak, right in the editor window, would, I think, be distracting for most users and take up valuable space in the editor window with something that they are just going to ignore.

I'm guessing that you are picturing a mode of use where you expect that you will want to be frequently changing this choice, perhaps because you have lots of fields, and you would like to always be able to see the fields you are working with in the editor without having to scroll. So you would break the set of fields up into several groups, each with an associated profile, and then you would start with one profile chosen, enter data for its fields, then switch to a second profile, continue on with its fields, etc. I admit that this would be a style of use that would benefit from your suggestion. But I think it is a very atypical style of doing data-entry with Recollector.

As to your second suggestion, that has recently been implemented. There is a new feature, referred to in the User's Guide as "Auto-populating picklists" that does exactly what you describe. You set this up by creating a new picklist that has a single entry, whose value is "[AUTO]". If you associate this picklist with a (short text or one-line text) field, then in the data-entry window, there will be a dropdown list for the field, and its choices will consist of whatever actual values exist for this field in other records. I suggest taking a look at the User's Guide section on Picklists, and search for "Auto".

Thank you for your quick reply Smile

My idea (or personal use) for having the field profile selection in the editor window is that I have fields that are related to one item more than other items and skip all the unrelated fields in adding, which "field profiles" helps with very well and switch profiles on a regular basis upon the type of item I'm adding, perhaps instead of permanently adding it in the editor window the addition of a tick box option in "Editor Preferences" next to the field profile selector that says "Add field profile list to editor window" would be more suitable, that way the collectors that use "Field Profiles" the most can tick it to access "Field Profiles" directly from the editor window and can be un-ticked by default so it will not distract others that don't use it. I created another screenshot for example Smile

Thank you for pointing that out, I will check the user guide on how to use it Smile
10-01-2018, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the additional information. I hadn't thought of your reason for wanting more frequent changes to the editing profile. I will give some thought to your proposal for making the display of the profile chooser in the editor window a user-specifiable choice.