Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sort Order
07-14-2018, 09:39 PM
Sort Order
I intend using Recollector for collections of coins and artefacts that span the period between circa 300 BC - AD 2000. The actual dates could therefore be XXX BC, XX BC, X BC, AD X, AD, XX, AD XXX or AD XXXX. I have experimented with the various field types (number, date, text, etc.), and also with the format of the data entered (e.g. preceding shorter numbers with zeros, adding minus signs for BC, etc.) but have not found a satisfactory way of sorting the records correctly.

Is there any way you could suggest that I might accomplish this, or is it something that could be considered for inclusion in a later version of Recollector?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2018, 11:50 PM
RE: Sort Order
It is a good suggestion that the support for dates be improved so that "BC", "AD" (or "CE") be recognized, and sorting thereby made to correctly recognize the correct ordering of years.

In the mean time, you should be able to define a field of type "number", and use negative values for BC years. (Do not include "AD" or "BC" as part of the values, just use a number, with a minus sign in front of it if it represents a BC year value.) Recollector does correctly sort number fields, including the handling of negative values.

I've attached two screen shots to demonstrate this. I added two fields to a small collection, one of these is "Numeric year" and is of type "number". The other is "Year" and is of type "short text". BC years are represented by negative numbers in the "Numeric year" field. Sorting is done just by the "Numeric year" column. The first image shows sorting in ascending order, the second image shows sorting in descending order. As you can see, negative values are treated correctly.

07-16-2018, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2018 07:12 AM by maprecord.)
RE: Sort Order
I would like to let you know that the latest releases of Recollector (V3.2.49 for Windows; V1.7.19 for the Mac) address the issue raised by this thread. "Date" type fields now support including an era notation ("AD", "BC", or, equivalently, "CE" and "BCE") along with a year, and the program will use this information, if present, to correctly sort or compare date values. The era notation can precede or follow the year number, with or without a separating space, and must be in upper-case. If specifying years in the current era, including "AD" (or "CE") is optional, since, by default, a single numeric value will be interpreted as a year in the modern era.

Please note that this special handling of era notations only applies to date-type fields. And the notations are really only intended for dates which specify just a year. Date fields continue to support fuller date specifications (for example: 15-JUL-2018, and a variety of other common month, day and year - or month and year - representations). But the new era notations are only expected to be used when you have a simple year specification, with no month and/or day information.

Here are some examples of legitimate representations of years:

250 BC
AD 500
AD1200
2000 CE
BCE25

Thanks to AlicaLeila0589 for pointing out the deficiency in the handling of ancient dates. I hope the updated version meets your needs in this area.