Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Printing Lables
05-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Printing Lables
Hi Jeremy

Due to the size of my collection I would like to print labels using Recollector.

Recollector has all the attributes that could make,based on one Line text labeling.

I believe this could be useful to other collectors.

It would require a major rethink with the complexities of labels, label sizing and how much one could put on a label.

Here are some sample images that could have one or two lines on a label?

Phill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2018, 11:20 PM
RE: Printing Lables
Hi Phill,

The request for Recollector support for label printing makes good sense, in terms of what collectors might want the software to help them with. I have heard this request (for label printing) at least a few times before.

The problem, however, is that doing label printing well is really hard! If there was just one type and size of label, this would not be a big deal. But there are many label formats. A recent check showed that the label printing functionality in Microsoft Word supports labels from 26 different label manufacturers, and each of these has a variety of label formats (Avery, for example, has over 560 different label types!)

But this complexity is actually good news, because other software vendors have already focused on this area, and I don't need to reinvent the wheel. Microsoft, in particular, has invested its Word products with excellent label printing capabilities. And joined with its mail merge capability, and the ability to read data from Excel, Recollector users have a quite straightforward way of printing labels using these pretty-much universally used Microsoft tools.

Here's the approach I would take:

1) In Recollector, define a Field Profile that includes just the 2 or 3 fields that you want to appear on each label.
2) Set your List View from this Field Profile (Select Field Selection from Profile from the Options menu).
3) Export to Excel. (If you want to export just some, but not all, of your records, you could define a subset that includes just the records you want, and switch to that subset before exporting. Alternatively, you could delete unwanted rows from the spreadsheet before printing labels.
4) Save the spreadsheet to disk (so that you will have a named file to refer to when you go to print the labels).
5) Open up Microsoft Word and use Word's Mail Merge capability to set up and print your labels. Recent versions of Word include a pretty straightforward "Mail Merge wizard" to step you through the process. Take a look at this Microsoft document that explains the process: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...ls-in-word

I have no idea how many person-hours of work went into Microsoft's software for label printing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeds the amount of work that I put into developing the entire Recollector product. So I would much prefer putting my time and energy into developing features of Recollector that cannot be easily performed using existing, widely available, tools. And label printing definitely falls into that "existing, widely available" category.

-- Jeremy
05-02-2018, 03:56 AM
RE: Printing Lables
Hi Jeremy

That is a great idea and to me that is Recollector working to solve a problem that will benefit the collecting community.

Its basically a template, based on Fields, that can be set up and merged into MS Mail merge to produce labels.

I will try that in the weekend.

cheers

Phill