Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Database on Adroid too big?
04-14-2018, 09:16 PM
Question Database on Adroid too big?
Hi

I just updated my database and converted it to my Adroid Tablet (Samsung Galaxy). The program is also updated for the latest version 3.2.38 - 1.5

During loading / conversion of the XML file, Recollector stops and tells it had to be restarted.

I've tried it several times - no luck.

My database consists of 2483 records with 2 to 5 images in most of the records. I had also tried with only the first image - same result.

Before my update there were approx. 2200 records and it ran well on my tablet.

Now is my question whether it's the new software version, or if there are too many entries in my database?

The XML file here is approx. 82 Mb large.

Is there something I do wrong, when I convert to my Tablet?

Best regards
JanHuh
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2018, 11:07 PM
RE: Database on Adroid too big?
I can't really tell from the information you have provided what is causing this problem, but I have a few questions and suggestions that might help get to the bottom of this.

Was your most recent download to your Android device of the entire collection, or did you use the option to just download images that were new or modified since the last download? You mention that your download XML file is 83MB. That isn't very large. (My map collection XML download is nearly 500MB and downloads fine to my Android phone.) And there are no hard limits to a collection's size, so you haven't exceeded any known limits.

Are you downloading just thumbnails, or thumbnails plus full-size images?

I don't know what else you have installed on your tablet, so it is conceivable that you are running out of free space on your sd-card. One way to free up some space is to first delete the existing version of your collection, and then download and open the new version of your collection (assuming that you created the XML file with all your images, and not just the ones added or changed since the previous download).

One other possibility is that there is some problem with one of the images in the newly added records. Though it is a little bit of a chore, one thing you could try is to define a subset that includes just your new records (e.g. include in the subset just records whose ID # is above some value, if you have been assigning sequential ID # values). Then switch to that subset and do an export, specifying that you should export just the subset records. Give the generated XML file some different name than your normal XML export file. And then transfer that smallish subset export to your Android device. Does that blow up when trying to read it in? If so, it suggests that there might be a problem with one particular image file. You might be able to make a guess at where, roughly, in the data the problem is, by seeing how far along the progress indicator has gotten when the crash occurs.

I can suggest some next steps when I hear back from you on the questions mentioned here.
04-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Hi

I have tried to do as you suggest.

I download thumbnails plus full-size images.

I have deleted the existing version of my collection and created a new complete with ALL images. - it failed.

Then I have tried the second option - made a new collection with only the new entries - it worked well. all the records were converted to my tablet. Ca. 300 items.

then I have tried to subtract the missing records and added the database - it went well a 3 times (about 20-25 records in total) the 4th time the program stopped and had to be restarted.

Best regards
Jan
04-17-2018, 11:18 PM
Your latest information does seem to suggest that you are running out of some resource (disk space, memory, ?) when trying to load the entire collection on the Android device.

One last test you might try: Do an export of the entire collection but without full-size images (i.e., just export thumbnails). Full size images require, by far, the most amount of space, both in the export file and of the Android device's memory. So if excess size is the problem, you should probably be able to export the whole collection OK, without the full-size images.

If that test works, then it would seem to confirm that you have just run up against some space limit on your Android device, though we don't know exactly what limit that is.
04-22-2018, 03:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2018 03:56 AM by JanAnd.)
(04-17-2018 11:18 PM)maprecord Wrote:  Your latest information does seem to suggest that you are running out of some resource (disk space, memory, ?) when trying to load the entire collection on the Android device.

One last test you might try: Do an export of the entire collection but without full-size images (i.e., just export thumbnails). Full size images require, by far, the most amount of space, both in the export file and of the Android device's memory. So if excess size is the problem, you should probably be able to export the whole collection OK, without the full-size images.

If that test works, then it would seem to confirm that you have just run up against some space limit on your Android device, though we don't know exactly what limit that is.

I have not just tried the ones you suggest yet, but I have tried to read the export file (xxx_app.xml) on my tablet and here's the message I get:

error on line 9888 at column 42: PCDATA invalid Char value 28

I do not understand this, except that there must be an error in my export data.

Can you please explain to me what's wrong?
04-22-2018, 06:02 AM
Without looking at the actual file, it is impossible to know what the error might be. Any chance you can put the xxx_app.xml file on Dropbox and send me (support@maprecord.com) a link to it, so I can download it and take a look?

When you say that you tried to "read" the file on your tablet, what exactly did you try to do? The error message you saw ("error on line 9888 at column 42: PCDATA invalid Char value 28") doesn't match the style or wording of any of the error messages that the Recollector App on Android puts out.
04-22-2018, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2018 08:30 AM by JanAnd.)
(04-22-2018 06:02 AM)maprecord Wrote:  Without looking at the actual file, it is impossible to know what the error might be. Any chance you can put the xxx_app.xml file on Dropbox and send me (support@maprecord.com) a link to it, so I can download it and take a look?

When you say that you tried to "read" the file on your tablet, what exactly did you try to do? The error message you saw ("error on line 9888 at column 42: PCDATA invalid Char value 28") doesn't match the style or wording of any of the error messages that the Recollector App on Android puts out.

When I try to read the file, I do it this way:

On my tablet
open my files - in the list of recent files I open the file with html viewer. then the file is readable.
At the top of the page is the error in a square pink box. And the file appears in readable form.

I have saved the sparebssermfoto_app.xml file to Dropbox
Note: It is written in Danish and contains the letters Æ-Ø-Å (uppercase and lowercase)
04-22-2018, 01:35 PM
I have looked at the file you sent. As you are opening the file with an HTML viewer (and not with Recollector), the error does not, I believe, relate to the problems you are having opening the file with the Recollector App.

The actual problem being reported by the HTML viewer is with the record whose ID # is 1049. The value you have for the "Kjøpt hos / fået af" field, where the value entered is "NanuX" where "X" is not the character X, but the ASCII value 28, which is the ASCII file-separator character (FS). This is not a printable character, and the HTML viewer is giving you that error due to that character (which is the 42nd byte of line 9.888). I don't know how, during data entry, you managed to get this FS character into the data field; perhaps from some copy-and-paste operation?

I'll spend a little more time looking into this file, to see if there is anything in it that should cause problems to the Recollector App. (Am I right in assuming that this file fails to open with the Recollector App, in the way that you originally reported?)
04-25-2018, 05:29 AM
I have spent some time working with the export file that you sent, and I was able to generate an error on the Android platform. This might be the error that you originally encountered.

The error related to sorting. Your collection file was sorted by two fields:

Dato
Købt hos / fået af

The error I saw was related to sorting by the Dato field, which is a date-type field. I have not been able to fully figure out why this is generating the error, but some possibilities are that the Dato field contains some non-date-like data (e.g. "?" or "-81"), or that it contains some European-style dates (with day before month, e.g. "25-10-1982") when the code assumes American-style dates. The error is some deep Java-related problem (the internal error message is "Comparison method violates its general contract", which is less that informative, but it was easy to see that this was coming out of the sort operation).

When the Recollector App opens a collection, it initially sorts the records by whatever were the sort fields that the collection had on your PC/Mac at the time you did the export. It was while doing this initial sorting that the bug occurred. You can change the sort order within the App by choosing "Sort" from the menu on the List view for the collection. One thing is quite strange: If you change the sort order to some particular field (e.g. "ID #"), and then change it again, to specify that you want the sorting to be by the "[Original sort order]", the sorting bug does not occur. It only occurs during that initial sort, while opening the collection.

I plan to put an updated version of the App fairly soon on the Google Play Store, which fixes the problem by catching and ignoring that initial sort error. In the mean time, I think you should try changing the sort order on your PC/Mac so that it does not include the Dato field. Use Sort order on the Options menu to set sorting to use just one field, and be sure that one field isn't a date-type field. (Maybe just set the sort order to use just the ID # field.) Then do an export and move that new version of the export file to your Android device. (You should be able to do an export without any images, since the images should already be there on your Android device. So you will just be updating the data part of your collection, with a different sort order.) If the bug I found is the problem, then the Recollector App should be able to successfully open the new version of the collection.
04-26-2018, 03:45 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2018 03:48 AM by JanAnd.)
(04-25-2018 05:29 AM)maprecord Wrote:  I have spent some time working with the export file that you sent, and I was able to generate an error on the Android platform. This might be the error that you originally encountered.

Dato
Købt hos / fået af

The error I saw was related to sorting by the Dato field, which is a date-type field. I have not been able to fully figure out why this is generating the error, but some possibilities are that the Dato field contains some non-date-like data (e.g. "?" or "-81"), or that it contains some European-style dates (with day before month, e.g. "25-10-1982") when the code assumes American-style dates. The error is some deep Java-related problem (the internal error message is "Comparison method violates its general contract", which is less that informative, but it was easy to see that this was coming out of the sort operation).

When the Recollector App opens a collection, it initially sorts the records by whatever were the sort fields that the collection had on your PC/Mac at the time you did the export. It was while doing this initial sorting that the bug occurred. You can change the sort order within the App by choosing "Sort" from the menu on the List view for the collection. One thing is quite strange: If you change the sort order to some particular field (e.g. "ID #"), and then change it again, to specify that you want the sorting to be by the "[Original sort order]", the sorting bug does not occur. It only occurs during that initial sort, while opening the collection.

I plan to put an updated version of the App fairly soon on the Google Play Store, which fixes the problem by catching and ignoring that initial sort error. In the mean time, I think you should try changing the sort order on your PC/Mac so that it does not include the Dato field. Use Sort order on the Options menu to set sorting to use just one field, and be sure that one field isn't a date-type field. (Maybe just set the sort order to use just the ID # field.) Then do an export and move that new version of the export file to your Android device. (You should be able to do an export without any images, since the images should already be there on your Android device. So you will just be updating the data part of your collection, with a different sort order.) If the bug I found is the problem, then the Recollector App should be able to successfully open the new version of the collection.

Many thanks for the help

It was just the data field that was the problem.

I did as you suggest to sort by the ID field instead of date, and completely excluded date in my sorting.

After doing this, and converted to Recollector APP, it works fine without any problems.

It was really a big help.

We will notify you when you add a new version to the app on Google Play

Yours sincerely
Jan Andreasen / Denmark

(04-26-2018 03:45 AM)JanAnd Wrote:  
(04-25-2018 05:29 AM)maprecord Wrote:  I have spent some time working with the export file that you sent, and I was able to generate an error on the Android platform. This might be the error that you originally encountered.

Dato
Købt hos / fået af

Many thanks for the help

It was just the data field that was the problem.

I did as you suggest to sort by the ID field instead of date, and completely excluded date in my sorting.

After doing this, and converted to Recollector APP, it works fine without any problems.

It was really a big help.

We will notify you when you add a new version to the app on Google Play

Yours sincerely
Jan Andreasen / Denmark

Sorry for the last line

I mean will You notify, when You add a new version of the APP on Google Play

Regard Jan