Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Icon associated with Files Links
04-09-2018, 03:54 AM
Icon associated with Files Links
Hi Jeremy

As Im going thru my database and adding files to specific records, could there be an Icon denoting various files,links that have been created similar to the camera images.

The reason why is that it would be easier to find specific files attached to specific records without having to search and open each record. Time saving.

One could have icon ie word,PDF,WWW etc...

Phill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2018, 04:42 AM
RE: Icon associated with Files Links
Hi Phill,

I hadn't thought of doing that. And I'm not quite sure where I would display those additional icons (since a given record might have more than one). Unless I come up with (or you or someone else suggests to me) some obvious way to do this in a way that is space-efficient, I probably won't work on this idea.

It does occur to me, though, that you could implement this yourself in the following way: Add a new field ("Links" - a short text field) to your database to keep track of which kinds of links a record has. You could use 1-letter codes for the various link types:

I: Image
D: Doc (Word document)
P: PDF
W: WWW link
etc.

Then, when editing a record, you could put one or more of these code letters into the new field, depending upon what kind of links are present in the record. Since you would typically never have more than a few letters in any one record (e.g. "IPW" for a record that has one or more each of image links, PDF links and WWW links), this field would display compactly in List View and would give you the same functionality as displaying the icons that you suggested. Of course this approach leaves it up to you to fill in these "letter-icons" yourself, rather than having the program do it automatically.

--Jeremy
04-09-2018, 05:01 AM
(04-09-2018 04:42 AM)maprecord Wrote:  Hi Phill,

I hadn't thought of doing that. And I'm not quite sure where I would display those additional icons (since a given record might have more than one). Unless I come up with (or you or someone else suggests to me) some obvious way to do this in a way that is space-efficient, I probably won't work on this idea.

It does occur to me, though, that you could implement this yourself in the following way: Add a new field ("Links" - a short text field) to your database to keep track of which kinds of links a record has. You could use 1-letter codes for the various link types:

etc.

Then, when editing a record, you could put one or more of these code letters into the new field, depending upon what kind of links are present in the record. Since you would typically never have more than a few letters in any one record (e.g. "IPW" for a record that has one or more each of image links, PDF links and WWW links), this field would display compactly in List View and would give you the same functionality as displaying the icons that you suggested. Of course this approach leaves it up to you to fill in these "letter-icons" yourself, rather than having the program do it automatically.

--Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Great Idea , I guess I could use an image Icon (?) instead of Letter Icon, will experiment.

cheers

Phill
04-09-2018, 06:03 PM
(04-09-2018 05:01 AM)Phill Lockett Wrote:  
(04-09-2018 04:42 AM)maprecord Wrote:  Hi Phill,

etc.

--Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Great Idea , I guess I could use an image Icon (?) instead of Letter Icon, will experiment.

cheers

Phill

Hi Jeremy

Your advise worked
Here are images
In list View so I can easily Identify with Doc, Link , PDF

Item details

Phill
04-09-2018, 11:03 PM