Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pick List
04-07-2018, 06:50 PM
Pick List
Pick list is a powerful tool to have in adding data.

My problem is that I have many values per field some up to 20 if not more. I have approx 30 fields with more to be added as I develop my database.

Is there a way that the Pick List could show all values per Field which would make it easier to add and or one could pick and choose what to be added per field from the list of values?

cheers

Phill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2018, 11:03 PM
RE: Pick List
Phill,

I'm afraid I don't quite understand your question. I understand that you have many fields (and more to come) that can usefully use a picklist, and that many of your picklists are fairly long (20 or more entries). It seems like you are asking for better support in the area of creating/modifying picklists (rather than in the area of using them when in the editor window).

The Manage Picklist window shows the current set of values in the selected picklist. And the Edit Picklist sub-window also shows those values and lets you add, delete, replace and re-order the values. The height of the windows for showing these lists is perhaps too small to show all values at once (if you have 20 or more values), but the lists are scrollable, so you can scroll to see all the values.

Also, you can have as many picklists as you want, and though often a picklist is associated with just one field, you can associate a picklist with multiple fields, if the same picklist values apply to the multiple fields.

Additionally, you can maintain a picklist's values in an external text file, as there is an Add values from a text file button in the Edit Picklist window, that lets you load a picklist's values from the text file. So if you have a more comfortable editing environment (which could be a text editor, or even Excel [saving the result as a .txt file]) for editing and maintaining long lists of values, you could take that approach.

In any event, I am probably misunderstanding your query, so please respond with a further explanation of what you find to be missing in Recollector's picklist support.
04-08-2018, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2018 07:43 AM by Phill Lockett.)
(04-07-2018 11:03 PM)maprecord Wrote:  Phill,

I'm afraid I don't quite understand your question. I understand that you have many fields (and more to come) that can usefully use a picklist, and that many of your picklists are fairly long (20 or more entries). It seems like you are asking for better support in the area of creating/modifying picklists (rather than in the area of using them when in the editor window).

The Manage Picklist window shows the current set of values in the selected picklist. And the Edit Picklist sub-window also shows those values and lets you add, delete, replace and re-order the values. The height of the windows for showing these lists is perhaps too small to show all values at once (if you have 20 or more values), but the lists are scrollable, so you can scroll to see all the values.

Also, you can have as many picklists as you want, and though often a picklist is associated with just one field, you can associate a picklist with multiple fields, if the same picklist values apply to the multiple fields.

Additionally, you can maintain a picklist's values in an external text file, as there is an Add values from a text file button in the Edit Picklist window, that lets you load a picklist's values from the text file. So if you have a more comfortable editing environment (which could be a text editor, or even Excel [saving the result as a .txt file]) for editing and maintaining long lists of values, you could take that approach.

In any event, I am probably misunderstanding your query, so please respond with a further explanation of what you find to be missing in Recollector's picklist support.

Hi Jeremy

I followed your advise below as one field contained 150 values and it worked.

To achieve this I have to copy all values in the field (2600) and then only keep one of each value- if that makes sense-probably not!

"Additionally, you can maintain a picklist's values in an external text file, as there is an Add values from a text file button in the Edit Picklist window, that lets you load a picklist's values from the text file. So if you have a more comfortable editing environment (which could be a text editor, or even Excel [saving the result as a .txt file]) for editing and maintaining long lists of values, you could take that approach."

Phill
04-08-2018, 08:12 AM
Now I think I get it! What you really want is a field that has a picklist that automatically populates itself with all the existing values in that field. Usually a new record will use one of the existing values, and you can pick the value from the picklist, but occasionally you will have a brand new value that you want to use, and, in that case, you would like the picklist to get updated to include that new value as well.

If that's what you're looking for, it is a reasonable idea, though not something that is currently in the program. I could see adding an option to picklists, so that just as you can now specify that a picklist is strict (or not strict), you could also say that a non-strict picklist should be "auto-updated", meaning that when an entry is typed into a field that uses this picklist, but the typed-in entry doesn't match any of the current picklist values, then the new value should be automatically added to the picklist's set of values.

It's worth mentioning that Recollector does have a feature that can make data-entry easier in this kind of situation, without even having to set up a picklist: If you type a character (or a few characters) into a field (a short-text or one-line-text field), and then hit the ESC key, a popup will come up, that you can choose from, with a list of values already in that field that begin with the typed-in letters. (If there is only one value that matches the typed-in letters, ESC will simply fill in the field with that matching value.) And you get this behavior without having to use a picklist. (In fact, it doesn't work on fields that use a picklist.)
04-08-2018, 08:31 AM
Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the additional info and tips.

I am finding that Recollector has made a valuable addition to my collection, it does more than what I have hoped for and the tip "type in several characters and hit esc key" you have just given actually has worked out perfectly for what I require.

Many thanks

Phill
04-09-2018, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2018 06:17 PM by Phill Lockett.)
Hi Jeremy

I used .txt file for my Picklist easier and I had to recheck any spelling errors , incorrect values etc...

Note you can also see the added Pick List and I modified one field to Short Txt.

Worked a treat

re below image

Phill