Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Feature Request - Edit Item field restrictions
03-18-2018, 05:15 AM
Feature Request - Edit Item field restrictions
Jeremy,
I love this program.

It would be nice to be able to specify what fields in a record are editable during a certain stage of my process so I can more easily find the fields I want to enter. Let me explain.

For instance, when entering a new cast iron pan in my collection, all I want to see on the screen are the fields that relate to a new pan entry: brand, size, type, cost and purchase location. None of the other 20 fields I use pertain to new pan entry at this point.

Then, later in my process, I only want to see fields related to say, the sale process: Now I want to change the status from "available for sale" to "sold", fill in the location where sold and the price I got for it. None of the other fields matter right now.

Perhaps this could be done with subsetting. I could have a subset called "new pan entry" and it would only display the fields I want. Then another subset called "sold pan entry" and it would have a different set of fields that I can change.

This would make my job a lot easier.
Thanks
Gary
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2018, 06:01 AM
RE: Feature Request - Edit Item field restrictions
Gary,

I understand your request, and it makes sense. As you note, currently there is no way to do this. Recollector always shows all the fields in the Editor window.

I wouldn't hold my breath for this to get added any time soon, since this would involve a lot of engineering to implement well.

In the mean time, the best I can suggest is to change the order of the fields in the Item Details, so that all the fields of a particular type (the ones you fill in when you initially acquire an item, the ones you fill in when you are selling, etc.) are grouped together. Then, at least, when in the Editor you will find the fields you want to be accessing all together.
03-18-2018, 06:16 AM
I already do the grouping thing. Still kind of cumbersome since you have to read or skim fields to find the ones you need. As an alternative that may be easier programming wise, could you add some dividing line to separate a grouping of entry fields? Maybe like the scheme below using "shift tab" to go from section 1 to 2 and to 3?

1: NEW ITEM ENTRY:
ID___ BRAND ____ TYPE ___ SIZE ____ COST $_____ WHERE PURCHASED ______
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2: ITEM CLEANED ENTRY:
CONDITION ____ METHOD _____ VALUE _____ MARKINGS DISCOVERED ______
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3: ITEM SOLD ENTRY
SELLING PRICE _______ WHERE SOLD ________ SELLING NOTES ____________
03-22-2018, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2018 11:14 PM by maprecord.)
This request has been implemented for the Windows version of Recollector (as of V3.2.27) and the Macintosh version (as of V.1.7.14). You can now define a Field Profile, specifying a subset of your fields and an ordering of those fields, and you can specify that the data-entry/editing window should just show the fields in that Field Profile. (On the Windows version, this is done via the Editor Preferences dialog, accessed from the Preferences menu on the data-entry/editing window. On the Mac version, this is done via the Preferences dialog, accessed from the Recollector menu.)

Of course, you can define multiple Field Profiles, for different phases of your work, and then switch to whichever one matches what you next are doing with your collection.
03-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Jeremy
I just tried the new feature and it works like a charm! This will make editing so much easier when there are a lot of items to enter or change.

Thank you so much!
Gary