Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Search inquiry
03-05-2018, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2018 03:08 AM by Phill Lockett.)
Search inquiry
When I type in a specific number word combination then hit create temporary search,multiple items with matching number appears , whilst other times this does not happen and only specific number word appears, which is what I require.

I use the example 3rd Infantry Division and 24th Infantry Division.

heers

Phill

3rd Infantry Division

24th Infantry Division

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2018, 09:19 AM
RE: Search inquiry
This is happening because when you search for the text "3rd Infantry Division", this also matches strings with characters prior to the initial "3", for example, "43rd Infantry Division". Creating a temporary subset via the search dialog is always based on matching the search string anywhere in the field contents, rather than just matching the entire field contents.

To avoid this problem, I suggest using a normal subset, rather than a temporary search subset. With a normal subset you can specify that the field ("Title") contents is exactly the search string you put in (rather than possibly a sub-string within a larger string). So you could define a subset as conditioned upon the Title field being "3rd Infantry Division-WWII", and you would not see any records for the 23rd, 43rd, etc. divisions. In your example, it looks like you might need a slightly fancier subset definition, since you have several different 3d Infantry Division-WWII titles. So your subset might be need to be defined as:

Title IS 3rd Infantry Division-WWII
or
Title IS 3rd Infantry Division-WWII Anzio Tab
03-05-2018, 05:19 PM
I tried normal subset with specific search strings including Title Is and the same result occurs.

In my Title I will have an era associated ie 3rd Infantry Division-WWII, 3rd Infantry Division-Korean War, 3rd Infantry Division-Cold War Period etc..

Is it possible to have specific syntax which will bring up all "3rd Infantry Division" in title only?

This also happens with 1st, 7th , 8th etc...

I have also tried using the catalogue number and no luck.

Phill
03-06-2018, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2018 12:11 AM by maprecord.)
It sounds like what you need is a comparison operator that specifies that the field ('Title') begins with '3rd Infantry Division'. Unfortunately, Recollector's subset specification capabilities don't currently include that option.

Use of 'is', though, should avoid picking up 33rd, 43rd, 103rd, etc., when you specify '3rd Infantry Division-WWII'. I made a small test collection mimicking your example. The first screenshot (actually shown last in the attached thumbnails) shows the full collection, the 2nd screenshot shows the subset definition (note the 'is' operator hightlighted), and the last screenshot (actually shown first) shows the collection after selecting that subset. It does the expected restriction down to just the one matching record.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-06-2018, 03:32 AM
I had followed and used IS this was the result.

03-18-2018, 01:53 PM
I have just added a 'begins with' (and 'does not begin with') comparison operator for use when defining subsets. This should allow you to specify something like:

Title BEGINS WITH 3rd Infantry Division

and this will include records for the 3rd Infantry Division but will not include records for the 23rd Infantry Division, 43rd Infantry Division, etc.

This feature is available in both the Windows and Mac versions of Recollector.
03-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Hi Jeremy

You are a champion and your bloods worth bottling!

It worked.

Once I defined the subset in the "Title BEGINS WITH nothing had come up BUT when I selected the subset it came up.

So should one have to select the subset-Is that how it should work or should it appear automatically?

Phill
03-18-2018, 11:14 PM
When you define the subset, you are doing just that: defining it. You are not yet using it. Once a subset is defined, it can be put into action by using Select a Subset from the Subset menu.

Subsets are retained as part of a collection. Just like field profiles, you can create subsets that become part of a collection's "meta-data". But, again just like field profiles, actually choosing to use a subset at a particular moment, is a separate operation.
03-19-2018, 03:09 AM
Thanks again.

This has been a very helpful.

Phill