Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Missing data in field and comma in detail-values
01-05-2018, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2018 03:03 PM by Phill Lockett.)
Video Missing data in field and comma in detail-values
Gidday Jeremy

For years I have been looking for a database system that speaks to me. When I watched your introduction it was if I was talking to you on the struggles I have had to find a database that I and all us collectors can use , change and most importantly enjoy and this is the one for me.

So what I have done is downloaded the Demo so I can see how I get on and find any issue(s) that I may encounter.

I have downloaded from excel and everything that I want is there however there are 2 issue:
1) I have 27 fields and the comments field has been left blank-I have pasted in the first 3 rows.
Is this a bug? And when I buy the licence key, can I update the database with all 2200 items with comments?

2) In Item Detail looks like a comma in value and sale prices? In List it has number.

Not to sure if I am doing things correctly however your database system has accomplished 90% plus, within half an hour of watching your introduction and a few tutorials.

regards

Phill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2018, 12:37 AM
RE: Missing data in field and comma in detail-values
Hi Phill,

Without looking at the Excel spreadsheet that was imported into Recollector, it is a little difficult to understand the issues that you noted. I can't think of any reason why the 'Comments' field data would not have gotten imported. During the import operation you get the opportunity to choose columns that you don't want to include, but that doesn't appear to be the case here, since the Comments field is in your Recollector database, but it doesn't appear to have picked up the actual data.

As to the commas in the values and sale prices fields, this might be caused by preference settings (accessed via Options > Preferences). On the Data Entry/Editing tab of the preferences window there is a choice for Decimal symbol interpretation. If this is set to the second choice, you get the European-style presentation, which uses a comma, rather than a period, to separate the primary from the fractional part of a number (as well as using periods, rather than commas, as the thousands-separator character). And then, on the Item Details tab, there is a choice to Always include two-digit fractional part for currency values. These two preferences would cause the style of display that you are seeing. (These are not the default settings for these preferences, so I'm not sure how they would have gotten set that way without your explicitly setting them in the preferences dialog.)

The other possibility is that Excel presented these values in this way, when passing the data into Recollector. It would be good to verify that those two fields (values & sale prices) are defined as "currency" fields in Recollector. You can verify this by choosing Modify Fields and Image Directory from the Edit menu.

If you would like me to look more at these problems (and particularly, the reason why your Comments field data didn't get imported), you could send me a small Excel spreadsheet that just has a couple of rows from your data (but be sure to include the field name row [row 1] and one or two rows that have non-empty Comments), and I can debug what is happening to the Comment data during import. You can send the mini-spreadsheet as an email attachment to support@maprecord.com.
01-06-2018, 06:08 AM
(01-06-2018 12:37 AM)maprecord Wrote:  Hi Phill,

Without looking at the Excel spreadsheet that was imported into Recollector, it is a little difficult to understand the issues that you noted. I can't think of any reason why the 'Comments' field data would not have gotten imported. During the import operation you get the opportunity to choose columns that you don't want to include, but that doesn't appear to be the case here, since the Comments field is in your Recollector database, but it doesn't appear to have picked up the actual data.

As to the commas in the values and sale prices fields, this might be caused by preference settings (accessed via Options > Preferences). On the Data Entry/Editing tab of the preferences window there is a choice for Decimal symbol interpretation. If this is set to the second choice, you get the European-style presentation, which uses a comma, rather than a period, to separate the primary from the fractional part of a number (as well as using periods, rather than commas, as the thousands-separator character). And then, on the Item Details tab, there is a choice to Always include two-digit fractional part for currency values. These two preferences would cause the style of display that you are seeing. (These are not the default settings for these preferences, so I'm not sure how they would have gotten set that way without your explicitly setting them in the preferences dialog.)

The other possibility is that Excel presented these values in this way, when passing the data into Recollector. It would be good to verify that those two fields (values & sale prices) are defined as "currency" fields in Recollector. You can verify this by choosing Modify Fields and Image Directory from the Edit menu.

If you would like me to look more at these problems (and particularly, the reason why your Comments field data didn't get imported), you could send me a small Excel spreadsheet that just has a couple of rows from your data (but be sure to include the field name row [row 1] and one or two rows that have non-empty Comments), and I can debug what is happening to the Comment data during import. You can send the mini-spreadsheet as an email attachment to support@maprecord.com.
Thank you , comma has been solved and have sent an email.

Regards

Phill
01-09-2018, 12:11 AM
After some debugging using the data you provided, I was able to determine the cause of the missing data. One of your row 1 column headings included a space character at the end of the name. So, instead of the 7-letter word "Comment", there was an 8-letter word: "Comment " (note the space character after the letter 't'). Due to a bug in the program, this caused the program to omit all the data from that column during the import.

This bug has been fixed in version 3.2.27 of the PC version of Recollector.
01-09-2018, 02:56 AM
(01-09-2018 12:11 AM)maprecord Wrote:  After some debugging using the data you provided, I was able to determine the cause of the missing data. One of your row 1 column headings included a space character at the end of the name. So, instead of the 7-letter word "Comment", there was an 8-letter word: "Comment " (note the space character after the letter 't'). Due to a bug in the program, this caused the program to omit all the data from that column during the import.

This bug has been fixed in version 3.2.27 of the PC version of Recollector.

Gidday Jeremy

Thanks for the diagnoses and fix , excellent service and great software , will be buying the full licence in a week.
In the meantime still experimenting with all the added advantages and seeing how I can improve and develop my collection on many different levels using recollector.

regards

Phill