Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dave Griffiths
12-11-2017, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2017 09:06 AM by Dave Griffiths.)
Dave Griffiths
Hi – I have just looked at Recollector, and I am impressed. I am on the verge of purchasing the software, but have a query first.

I collect cigarette cards, and most of what I want to do seems to possible. But …

Each set of cards contains (typically) 50 cards , and I have some complete sets and some incomplete sets. I want to record if a set is complete or incomplete (easy, I think) and for the incomplete sets I want to record which cards I have, and which I still need to get. Most cards in a set are numbered 1 to 50 (sometimes 25, sometimes 100 but 50 is normal). On my paper record system (still in use but I want to upgrade to a software record system) I create, for each set that is incomplete, a simple 5 by 10 matrix (ie one cell for each card) and just put a trick in the appropriate box as I acquire a card. Can this somehow be replicated in Recollector? It doesn’t matter how it is done, as long as it is!

I look forward to your help here.

Many thanks, in advance.

Dave

Hmmm.

I have just read the reply to a previous question about inserting a table, and it sounds as though the answer to my question is "no".

Would it be possible to create a separate table in Excel, and then make a link to this from the main record of the set of cards?

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2017, 03:40 PM
RE: Dave Griffiths
You are correct in saying that you can't insert a table into a Recollector field.

As you suggest in your follow-up, you can make a link in Recollector to an Excel spreadsheet. You would do this using an F-type special hyperlink (described in the User's Guide). In the Item Details view this link would look like a typical hyperlink (blue, underlined text), which, when clicked on, would open up the specified spreadsheet file in Excel.

Given your description of just wanting a 5 x 10 matrix, to record the absence or presence of each of the 50 cards, I can also imagine your implementing this in an an "ugly" way within a single Recollector field, where you use a multi-line text field to record 5 lines of numbers, and then you use styles to differentiate the present from the absent items. For example, you might do the following, where bold indicates an absent card, and normal indicates a present one:

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

This is definitely not an elegant solution. In the computer world we would call this a 'kludge'. But maybe it would meet your needs. You might even consider having two collections: One for the individual cards, and the other for the sets. The set collection would have information applicable to the entire set, including the present/absent array described here. The individual-card collection would have a field for the set name (or number) and that could be made into a "jump-to" hyperlink, so that you could quickly bring up the per-set record that is appropriate for an individual card. And you would only have to maintain one copy of the present/absent matrix (in the per-set collection) per set, updating the normal/bold styles when you add (or remove) particular cards in your collection.
12-11-2017, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2017 07:26 PM by Dave Griffiths.)
Dave Griffiths
(12-11-2017 03:40 PM)maprecord Wrote:  You are correct in saying that you can't insert a table into a Recollector field.

As you suggest in your follow-up, you can make a link in Recollector to an Excel spreadsheet. You would do this using an F-type special hyperlink (described in the User's Guide). In the Item Details view this link would look like a typical hyperlink (blue, underlined text), which, when clicked on, would open up the specified spreadsheet file in Excel.

Given your description of just wanting a 5 x 10 matrix, to record the absence or presence of each of the 50 cards, I can also imagine your implementing this in an an "ugly" way within a single Recollector field, where you use a multi-line text field to record 5 lines of numbers, and then you use styles to differentiate the present from the absent items. For example, you might do the following, where bold indicates an absent card, and normal indicates a present one:

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

This is definitely not an elegant solution. In the computer world we would call this a 'kludge'. But maybe it would meet your needs. You might even consider having two collections: One for the individual cards, and the other for the sets. The set collection would have information applicable to the entire set, including the present/absent array described here. The individual-card collection would have a field for the set name (or number) and that could be made into a "jump-to" hyperlink, so that you could quickly bring up the per-set record that is appropriate for an individual card. And you would only have to maintain one copy of the present/absent matrix (in the per-set collection) per set, updating the normal/bold styles when you add (or remove) particular cards in your collection.

Hi - thanks for your reply.

I think the F-type hyperlink would be quite elegant, and the matrix you suggest (while a "work around") has some appeal too. I think I might refine this slightly to have one field for each set of ten numbers - this may be easier to manipulate.

The idea of a second collection, for incomplete sets, might be a bit cumbersome, as I have probably 30 incomplete sets, so a total of perhaps 1200 cards with 600 to collect - that would be a lot of records.

So, two potentials, I think: the Excel spreadsheet plus link, and the kludge.

I'll think on.

If anyone has other solutions I'd be grateful to hear.

Thanks again for your help ... so far.

Dave Griffiths