Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Data lost immediately after High Sierra upgrade
11-14-2017, 11:02 AM
Data lost immediately after High Sierra upgrade
DO NOT UPGRADE TO MAC OS HIGH SIERRA!!!

BACK UP EVERY TIME YOU ADD DATA!!!

I added an item to my collection in Recollector this morning. I did File->Save (but did not backup or export), then closed Recollector. Next, I installed the new High Sierra Mac OS upgrade. After doing so, I reopened Recollector because I had forgotten to add one item. The most recent ~35 entries I have made to Recollector during the past 15 months (all of which were present this morning) are suddenly missing. Closing/reopening, rebooting all to no avail. Regrettably, my most recent backup was in August, about 10 entries ago.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2018, 12:02 PM
RE: Data lost immediately after High Sierra upgrade
I'm very sorry to hear about this. Your collection data is just a normal text file on your hard disk. When you do an OS upgrade, none of your normal data files should get modified by that process.

You are not the first person to report file corruption after attempting to do an upgrade to High Sierra. (Try Googling 'files lost on high sierra upgrade'. And you might try looking at some of the solutions people have proposed for recovering files that were lost during the upgrade.)

Though I don't know the source of the problem in your particular case, it seems likely that this is due to some malfunction of either iCloud Drive or Time Machine, and the latest version of your file was replaced by an earlier version.

One thing is for sure: Everyone should do very thorough backups - preferably to a removable, external disk or to the cloud - before doing an OS upgrade. There are just too many tales of grief coming out of OS upgrades, both on Macs and in the Windows environment.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply